Sunday, July 24, 2022

Italian Riviera - Day 3

 Tina and I woke up to have breakfast then caught the bus to Lerici. I think they call it the cliffhanger express... The plan was to take a ferry to Riomaggiore in the Cinque Terre from Lerici but due to sea conditions it was only stopping at the furthest village in the Cinque Terre which would make it a pretty long round trip so we decided not to. The ferry back to Tellaro also wasn't running so we had to get a ride back. While we were figuring this all out we saw the bus we could've caught back come and go and when I checked the schedule it wouldn't be back for another hour so we just paid 10 more euro for a cab instead. So that was a waste of an hour.

After the two cliffhanger rides Tina wasn't feeling well so Scarlett and I went down to the beach to check it out. Due to the waves the beach wasn't really nice - they weren't big but they were stirring everything up so Scarlett didn't really like swimming there and we only spent a half hour or so before coming back.

Scarlett was hungry so she ordered a hot dog and it was a pretty lame excuse for a hot dog. I suppose they don't really eat them here maybe. The fries or patatine frittes as they call them were fine. 

After a bit of digging I found a way to take the bus to the local swimming pool in Lerici so the kids and I went there. We had to walk about 1 km along the marina and beach to get there and there wasn't much shade. We stopped at a Cafeteria and it was a mad house to order from the counter - the Italians don't really know how to make or stand in lines so it was pretty much wrestle through the crowd and order. The sandwiches were alright, prosciutto, cheese, and tomato on focaccia. 

We continued to the pool only to arrive and be told that we needed swim caps, which we could buy back at the Cafeteria a 5 minute walk back. We went back, bought the caps, and returned to the swimming pool.


The pool was nice and the giant inflatable slide was fun. We stayed awhile and then walked back to the bus stop to ride back to the hotel. The bus driver let us out right in front of the hotel so that was nice.

Scarlett and I walked into Tellaro and explored a bit trying to decide where to eat. 

We ate at a fancyish seafood restaurant and it was probably the best meal we've had in Italy. Tina had fried assorted seafood, Scarlett and I had octopus pasta, and Pieter had seafood spaghetti. We all ended up sharing - Tina's was probably the best overall but everyone had a good meal.






After supper we went back and watched the sunset over the "Bay of Poets" which is goes from Portovenere to Tellaro and includes the main city of La Spezia. We also checked out the rocky harbor area around Tellaro before walking back to the hotel for the night.











No comments:

Post a Comment