We woke up and stumbled our way around to eventually find the hole in the wall Basilica of St Peter in Chains (not St Peters of the Vatican) which I really wanted to see Michaelangelo's Moses / Tomb of Pope Julius the II (the "Warrior Pope). There was also a super hokey relic there which apparently is the main attraction but I didn't even both taking a photo of it. The Moses was really great to see in person - I wish we could see it a bit closer, even so it is something like 8 ft tall so we got a good look. The detail is hard to appreciate in a photo, but you could see muscles and features like those on a real person. The whole tomb area was very tall, maybe two stories with the pope's sarcophagus above Moses:
The light comes in at different angles throughout the day - apparently sunset is the best time, but the place is closed except for special occasions at that time.
We continued on and got a glimpse of the Colosseum which we'll be going inside in the early evening today:
No comments:
Post a Comment