On the evening of our first day in the Loire we walked around and saw the Tours Cathedral St. Something-or-other which had really nice stained glass. We also saw the Vieux Tours area and the kids had Crepes there.
Crepes
We walked quite a ways back to the hotel and then Tina and I went for supper. I had Steak Tartare and she had Grilled Steak. The tartare was good and it was my first time trying it (raw beef) and overall I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't go out of my way to make it at home. I got mixed up and accidentally ordered the tiniest bottle of orange juice I've ever seen for 4 euro too - there was maybe 200ml in there.
Went to bed and slept in before taking a train to Amboise in the mid morning. The town sits below the massive royal chateau. There is a tower with a ramp inside that could allow horses and chariots to go up to the terrace.
For a time Amboise, like Tours, was the capital of France. I forget the exact date this was the case for each of them.
Inside the tower / ramp entrance
There was a garden alongside the chateau that we checked out. Lots of plants. Grapes, lavender, flowers, apples, etc.
We found a restaurant, L'Epicurie, recommended by the Rick Steves guidebook to have a little lunch snack. I ordered Escargots, Terrine, and Cheese to share. Tina grudgingly tried the escargots and really liked them - in fact we all did. The terrine was also excellent as was the cheese. They brought out a cheese platter and told us about each of them and we chose which ones we wanted. It was in french and I was trying to pay attention to two things at once so really only got that a couple of them were local but we ended up taking the local ones and a few others that looked interesting.
We also bought gelato / ice cream "flowers" that were really good at a different shop.
We then realized it was either walk really fast back to the train station to catch a train in 15 minutes or wait around another hour and a half for the next one. We just made it.
After getting back I dealt with the Bull**** of trying to book tickets online and figure out schedules for the train to St Aignan Noyers, then the shuttle to the Zoo de Beauval, Zoo tickets, then shuttle back, then train back from a different station. It was really pissing me off as all of a sudden the credit cards wanted to text me (in Canada) to verify so I couldn't order anything. I was able to go to the station down the street and buy the train tickets, so hopefully it'll be easy tomorrow to buy shuttle and zoo tickets in person on the bus and at the zoo.
On the way back from the station I came across a Fiat 500 Abarth, which is basically the "sporty" / rally version of the Fiat 500. They are really rare in Canada. Jay Leno loves his.
we bought a local wine after Tina tasted it and gave the thumbs up in Amboise also. Her and Pieter are having Mimosas right now with a different wine we bought last night.
Hopefully the trip to the Zoo goes well tomorrow. It is France's best zoo and "4th most beautiful in the world", whatever that means. It appears to have a lot of them crazy critters to see so we'll check it out.











No comments:
Post a Comment